Delhi Police Registers FIR After Rahul Gandhi Protests Over Student’s Pellet Injuries
The Delhi Police has registered an FIR against unknown persons after 19-year-old student protester Sahil Lochab alleged that he suffered pellet-gun injuries during a protest march in New Delhi on July 20.
The FIR was registered after Congress leader and Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Rahul Gandhi joined Lochab and his family in a sit-in outside a Delhi police station, demanding that a case be registered. Click Here To Follow Our WhatsApp Channel
Police said they had collected the student’s medical report and other related documents before registering the FIR on the basis of his complaint.

Rahul Gandhi stages sit-in for FIR
Rahul Gandhi remained at the police station for several hours, saying he would continue his protest until the complaint was formally registered.
“I will sit on dharna outside the police station for 30 days or even six months if you don’t register an FIR,” Gandhi had said during the protest.
After the FIR was registered, Gandhi described it as the first step towards justice. He said it had taken almost a month for the case to be registered and pointed to the injuries suffered by Lochab.
Gandhi said the student still had pellets lodged in his body, including three in his eye, and alleged that injustice had been done to a young person.
According to Gandhi, he and the victim arrived at the police station at around 11:30 am, while the FIR was registered nearly seven hours later.

Student says pellets affected his vision
Lochab said the alleged incident took place on July 20, when he was participating in a student protest.
According to the student, pellet guns were fired at him during the protest. He was initially admitted to Lady Hardinge Medical College and was later referred to AIIMS, where he underwent surgery.
However, Lochab said his eyesight had not fully recovered.
He said he submitted a seven-page complaint through his lawyer on August 14 but alleged that the FIR was not registered at the time.
His lawyer also alleged that they were sent between Connaught Place Police Station and Parliament Street Police Station while attempting to file the complaint.
The lawyer claimed that police officials initially declined to take up the case and alleged that they had received instructions from senior authorities.

Police deny use of pellet guns
The Delhi Police has denied using pellet guns against student protesters.
The police had earlier told Rahul Gandhi that the Supreme Court had constituted a High-Powered Expert Committee (HPEC) to examine allegations concerning excessive or disproportionate use of force by police and paramilitary personnel during the student protests.
Gandhi, however, alleged that Lochab had been attacked with a pellet gun while peacefully protesting at Jantar Mantar.
He also said the injury had put the student’s vision in one eye at risk.
During the protest, Gandhi displayed pellets that he said had been removed from Lochab’s body. He also referred to medical reports from Lady Hardinge Medical College and AIIMS, claiming that more than 200 pellets were lodged in the student’s body, including three in his eye.
These claims are part of the allegations surrounding the incident, while the Delhi Police has denied using pellet guns.
Rahul Gandhi shows pellets to reporters
As the sit-in continued, Rahul Gandhi appeared before reporters with Lochab and displayed a small plastic box containing pellets.
He told reporters that the pellets had come from the student’s body and asked Lochab to show his injuries.
Lochab, who was wearing dark glasses, showed injuries on his body while Gandhi referred to the medical reports concerning his treatment.
The student said he was still waiting for his eyesight to improve following surgery.

Lawyer alleges delays in filing complaint
Lochab’s lawyer said the family initially approached the Connaught Place police station on August 14.
According to the lawyer, officers there said cases relating to Jantar Mantar had been transferred to Parliament Street Police Station.
When the lawyer went to Parliament Street Police Station, he alleged that officials said the incident fell under the jurisdiction of Connaught Place and directed them back there.
The lawyer claimed that the complaint was eventually returned after officials examined it and that they were made to wait for a considerable period.
The allegations have not been independently established.
Omar Abdullah backs Rahul Gandhi
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah also supported Rahul Gandhi’s action, saying that the role of an Opposition leader is to hold the government accountable.
“If the Opposition leader doesn’t do opposition, then what’s he there for?” Abdullah said.
He added that Rahul Gandhi was doing what the country expected from an Opposition leader by asking questions and demanding answers from the government.
Background to the protest
The incident comes amid continuing political debate over the handling of student protests and allegations of excessive use of force.
Rahul Gandhi has previously criticised the government over issues concerning students and alleged attacks on protesters.
The latest FIR is now expected to lead to a formal investigation into the allegations made by Sahil Lochab.
The police investigation will determine the circumstances surrounding the student’s injuries, including the source of the pellets and whether any force was used against him during the July 20 protest.






