Sonam Wangchuk Calls Ladakh Talks With Centre a ‘Positive Step’, Says Trust Deficit Still Remains

Sonam Wangchuk

Activist Says Ground Situation Must Improve for Real Trust-Building

Leh, May 24, 2026: Ladakh activist Sonam Wangchuk has described the recent talks between Ladakh representatives and the Centre as a “positive step”, while cautioning that genuine trust-building in the region remains incomplete due to several unresolved issues linked to past protests and administrative actions. Click Here To Follow Our WhatsApp Channel

Speaking to PTI after the latest round of discussions with a Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) sub-committee, Wangchuk said the meeting had changed his outlook to some extent, though he remained cautious about future developments.

“This meeting has made some difference. Otherwise, I was very disappointed,” Wangchuk said while referring to his earlier detention this year.

He said the government had spoken about creating an “environment of trust” and moving toward “meaningful and constructive dialogue”, but claimed that the situation on the ground had not fully reflected those assurances.

“People were getting divided — Leh and Kargil, Buddhists fighting Buddhists, Muslims fighting Muslims. We felt trust-building was not happening, and meaningful dialogue seemed unlikely,” he said.

Wangchuk expressed concern that tensions in Ladakh had sharply increased in recent weeks.

“Last week was very negative. There was conflict everywhere. I thought Ladakh would become another Manipur; it was heading in that direction,” he remarked.

Concerns Over Seized Phone and Pending Cases

The activist also raised concerns over unresolved issues related to protests and actions taken against demonstrators.

He said his mobile phone, confiscated during protests nearly eight months ago, had still not been returned despite his release.

“Without it, I cannot book an Ola, an Uber, or even a plane ticket. Digitally, I have become useless in Digital India,” he said.

Wangchuk stated that he deliberately chose not to replace the device or restore his digital access as a matter of principle.

“The government has left me half free and kept the other half in jail,” he said while referring to the seizure of his phone, emails, and digital records.

He also mentioned issues related to the Himalayan Institute of Alternatives, Ladakh (HIAL), including cancellation of land lease and non-restoration of the institution’s FCRA licence.

“Our FCRA has still not been restored,” he said, adding that scrutiny of the institution’s accounts had not revealed wrongdoing.

September Protest Cases Biggest Concern

According to Wangchuk, the biggest issue affecting trust remains the cases filed after the September 24 protests in Ladakh.

“So many people were injured, some died, many were charged. Will those cases be withdrawn? Only then will there be trust,” he said.

He added that the coming weeks would reveal whether the Centre was serious about resolving the concerns raised by the people of Ladakh.

Background of the Ladakh Talks

The remarks come after representatives of the Leh Apex Body (LAB) and Kargil Democratic Alliance (KDA) held discussions with the MHA sub-committee regarding constitutional safeguards, governance, and democratic powers for Ladakh.

The two organisations have been jointly demanding:

  • statehood for Ladakh,
  • constitutional protection for land and jobs,
  • and greater democratic powers since Ladakh became a Union Territory without a legislature in 2019.

Following Thursday’s meeting, the groups said they had reached an “in-principle understanding” with the Government of India regarding restoration of democracy and constitutional safeguards similar to provisions available under Article 371 in states such as Nagaland, Sikkim, and Mizoram.