Iran Agree Immediate Ceasefire

Iran Weighs Strikes on US Military Targets in Europe if Trump Escalates Conflict: Report

Iran is considering possible attacks on US military assets in Europe if President Donald Trump decides to escalate the conflict, according to a report by the Financial Times citing people close to the Iranian government. Click Here To Follow Our WhatsApp Channel

The reported plans would represent a significant expansion of Iran’s potential response beyond the Middle East.

According to the sources cited by the Financial Times, Iranian forces have considered possible strikes against US military targets in southeastern Europe, including locations in Bulgaria and Cyprus.

Bulgaria and Cyprus Among Potential Targets

Bulgaria has attracted particular attention because it recently authorised US aircraft to use its Bezmer airbase for refuelling.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi had previously urged Bulgaria to reconsider allowing US military aircraft to use the base, warning that facilitating US military operations against Iran could have consequences.

Cyprus has also reportedly been considered because of its military facilities and its role in supporting regional operations.

The potential targeting of assets in Europe would mark a major change from Iran’s previous focus on US military positions and strategic infrastructure in the Middle East.

Iran Also Considers Strait of Hormuz Infrastructure

According to the Financial Times report, Iranian forces have also considered targeting undersea fibre-optic cables in the Strait of Hormuz if the United States launches another major offensive.

The Strait remains at the centre of the confrontation between Washington and Tehran. Iran has said the waterway will remain closed until the United States meets conditions linked to the earlier interim agreement, while Washington has maintained pressure on Iran through its naval blockade.

The collapse of the 60-day memorandum of understanding has further reduced hopes of an immediate diplomatic breakthrough.

President Trump said on Tuesday that there were “no talks or conversations going on or scheduled” with Tehran.

Iran Threatens Wider Retaliation

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has previously warned that any return to full-scale fighting could lead Tehran to expand its response beyond the Middle East.

The reported consideration of targets in Europe suggests that Iranian planners may be examining ways to increase the cost of any renewed US military campaign.

However, the reports describe options being considered, not confirmed decisions to carry out attacks.

Iran Has Attempted Long-Range Strikes

Iran has demonstrated an interest in striking targets far from its territory.

The United States previously accused Iran of launching missiles towards Diego Garcia, a joint US-UK military facility in the Indian Ocean. The missiles reportedly failed to reach their intended target.

Turkey also reported that NATO air defences intercepted Iranian ballistic missiles in March, although Western officials attributed the strike on a Cyprus base that month to an Iranian drone launched by regional proxies.

More recently, an Iranian attack on a US base in Jordan that killed three American soldiers was described by the sources cited in the report as Iran’s most accurate long-range attack.

These developments have increased concerns about Iran’s ability and willingness to target US interests at greater distances.

Risk of Wider Regional Escalation

The latest reports come as diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran remain stalled and tensions around the Strait of Hormuz continue.

Iran has adopted a more confrontational posture, while the United States continues to apply military and economic pressure.

Any Iranian attack on US military assets in Europe would significantly widen the geographic scope of the conflict and could place European countries hosting or supporting US forces under additional security pressure.

For now, however, there is no indication that Tehran has made a final decision to attack European targets. The reported plans remain contingency options under consideration if Washington launches a renewed or significantly expanded offensive.

Similar Posts